second largest medieval cathedral was established by St.Canice as a monastic settlement
in the 6th century, William the Earl Marshall built the cathedral on the site
in the first decade of the 13th century.
between 1202 and 1285 this graceful cathedral has been preserved in its original
style. St. Canice's Cathedral is richly endowed with many stained glass windows.
The choir stalls are decorated with fine continental carvings and the sanctuary
floor is paved with different coloured marble from the four provinces of Ireland.
There is a large collection of ancient stone monuments with carvings going back
to mediaeval times. Nicholas Walsh, pioneer translater of the Bible into Irish
is buried here.
ancient stone of enthronement for bishops, called Saint Kieran's chair dates back
to earliest Christian times.
the cathedral stands a round tower. This was used as a watchtower and refuge in
pre-Norman times. It lacks its original conical stone cap but provides visitors
with the best view of Kilkenny City.